WELCOME TO GIVING HANDS, TASMANIA
GIVING HANDS is a Quilting Matters’ community project providing an opportunity for members to use their creative quilt-making skills to benefit local, worthy causes. Our current focus is on making beautiful, quality quilts for babies/children ‘at risk of homelessness and/or domestic violence’ and currently seek refuge at the South Hobart Womens’ Shelter.
You are invited to join the Giving Hands team. My wish is that while you are ‘making for others’, your own techniques and skills will naturally grow and develop during your Giving Hands experience.
Donated/recycled fabric will be used throughout the project. Batting is kindly being donated by Stitching and Beyond Tasmania.
STUDIO WORKSHOP SESSIONS
We will use monthly workshop sessions to initiate projects, work co-operatively, grow our skills and bring current projects to completion… before moving on to the next design. Most project making will be done outside of the studio.
The studio accommodates eight people per workshop session. Please email Trish to book your place each month…
- six stitchers – byo sewing machine & rotary cutter
- two helpers – byo rotary cutter, ironing, fabric sorting & keeping the troops fed & watered.
- First pattern will be Fresh Beginnings (a Jan Mullen design).
- You may choose to work independently, in pairs or in a group… this will be project dependant.
WORKSHOP SESSION DATES
Wednesdays, 10am to 1pm – drinks & nibbles provided
Next workshop session:
- Wednesday 26 February
– sandwiching session
– bring finished quilt top ready for sandwiching, byo basting pins
– batting kindly donated by Stitching & Beyond Tasmania.
HELPERS – Barb McK,
- Wednesday 11 March
- Wednesday 22 April
- Wednesday 20 May
- Wednesday 17 June
- Wednesday 29 July
- Wednesday 26 August
- Wednesday 23 September
- Wednesday 21 October
- Wednesday 18 November
- Wednesday 16 December
- Wednesday 29 January (COMPLETED)
– please bring fabric donations (100% cotton only), sort fabric into manageable colour bundles ready for use
– learn the Fresh Beginnings pattern, focus on colour/design, reinforce technique/skills
– finish quilt top at home ready for sandwiching next session
STITCHERS – Bee W, Bridget N, Cherie P, Ruth TS, Deb G,
HELPERS – Denae C